Thursday 6 October 2011

Paper making results

I really enjoy the paper making process and find the results very interesting, good and bad! The texture and feel to the paper is so wonderful I almost don't want to use it just admire it! I love the thickness of some of the pieces. It is hard to capture the texture and physicality of the paper in a photographed but here I have tried. I can already see my skill improving from Monday to today. The top left piece of paper was my first attempt at the small frame and it did not turn out so well, it is uneven and un neat, I did not spread of the pulp evenly enough. The top right piece is creased and jaggered edged. The bottom two pieces show improvements when I started to get the hang of the process and started to get to know the materials and ways to make the paper a success. It is very delicate and must be handled carefully!


A close up of my first ever attempt...


Jaggered and creased piece...


For the left piece of paper I put some stringy material on to the wet paper and layered another wet piece on top.This made the paper very thick, the stringy material didn't show up as much as I hoped and the second piece of paper I layed down wasn't in line with the first piece. An experiment! For the right piece of paper I did the same thing and put tea leaves in between the pieces of paper. The tea colour spreas out of the tea leaves to create a browning colour around each leaf.


Tea leaf texture...


Stringy material texture...


Bigger pieces! I am finding the bigger pieces of paper easier than the smaller ones, the big frames are easier to work with than the smaller frames as I think they are more fiddly, or maybe its just me! Today I managed to make some much better small pieces which are drying and waiting for me to pick them up tomorrow! I even made some green textured paper, looking forward to seeing how it dries.


Wonderful texture...


A little jaggered...


Paper!




Tomorrow;

  • I would like to make a few more mugs, a half mug?
  • Think about how I could make a teapot.
  • Continue paper making whilst waiting for clay etc to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment