Thursday 13 October 2011

Evaluation so far

I have really taken to working with clay and have found that there is so much to learn and discover using this one material. I don't know if I will have time to try everything on my initial list of things I wanted to learn such as glass making or the pottery wheel because of this discovery. I need to discuss this with Graham in my tutorial and decide where to go from here. The processes I am working in are very time consuming and I feel there is so much I can improve on in this one area. I have moved away from paper making and I have decided to concentrate on working with clay, making some different objects and from next week trying mug making using porcelain. I intend to come out with improved pieces of work to represent my learning journey. I would like to come back to paper making if I have time e.g. whilst waiting for clay to dry or fire in the kiln. My first set of four mugs will be going into the kiln this weekend for their last firing as I glazed them yesterday, the results will teach me how to improve my next set, what works, what doesn't, what aesthetic I like etc. I want to produce a final set of mugs or objects using everything I have learnt throughout the project, they will be my best ones I hope! Producing designs or illustrations to apply to them. I have discussed with Andy about making a plate or bowl next week and also a teapot if there is time. Although, I don't think I will be able to make all of these things as a big thing I have learnt is just how time consuming and unpredictable this process is. My first set of mugs will have taken two weeks from start to finish, I really cannot wait to see the result! For now, I am carrying on living in ceramics, learning and playing with clay and its possibilities! Tomorrow will help let me know if I'm going in the right direction or not, I am panicking about time and whether I will be able to try everything and what would be best to continue with.

No comments:

Post a Comment