Thursday 13 October 2011

Glazing

Applying the oxides and glazes was really exciting as I have never in my life done this before and cannot wait to see the results. Andy explained the different types of glazes and oxides and helped me with the process.

He explained how earthenware glazes can go onto stoneware, which is what I have been working with, it does bring out bold colours. However the earthenware glaze may crack or 'craze' after a short time if applied to stoneware objects. He used the example of a bad fitted coat, if someone wears a coat or jacket that is too small, it starts to stretch and mis shape which is what the earthenware glaze can start to do. Stoneware glazes cannot be applied to earthenware. It is best to use a stoneward glaze on to my mugs as it will make them longer lasting as I would like.



Here I have applied a Copper Carbonate oxide and a Cobalt Carbonate, I then applied a transparent glaze. This will hopefully become green and blue once it has has its final firing, we shall see!


I have applied Manganese Oxide and Copper Carbonate which will hopefully be purple and green. I then applied a transparent glaze.



Buckets of glaze. The technique is to hold the mug at the top and the base, dip in at a slant and hold for four seconds; bringing it back out the way it went in and holding to dry for a few seconds. I was really surprised at how quickly the glaze dried! I then placed it down to dry fully then fill in the finger marks with dabs of glaze using a paint brush. Then for the bottom I used a damp sponge to wipe the glaze off the bottom and get rid of my finger marks, nice and clean!






Left; Transparent Glaze.

Right; Oatmeal Stoneware Glaze. I haven't applied any oxides to this mug as I want to see what using a simple glaze will look like. I choose Oatmeal as I think this mug is much like an old beer mug which I really like!


I applied a transparent glaze to both. I painted the mug on the right using slip paints. I am intrigued to see how it comes out as I feel I applied the paints slightly messily!


I really enjoyed the process of applying the oxides and glazes. Although there are so many variables to this part of the process too that I dont exactly know what I will end up with, this is a difficult thing for me because I have images in my mind of how I want them to be but it mahy not turn out the way I had hoped. These are my first complete objects so I will learn from the results so I know about what colours and techniques to apply to my next set to make improvements. I feel like I am learning so much it is very fun and interesting if not over whelming as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment